Friday, February 1, 2008

Rocco: A (for canolis/dessert)

Wow, can I just say that Rocco's has the best canolis I've ever had...I was never a huge fan of canolis until I tried a chocolate canoli at Rocco's. And now I am seriously of the opinion that there are few better desserts. A small chocolate canoli at Rocco's is perfect as an extremely satisfying, but small and not too heavy dessert (well not too heavy for me but I'm a big dessert eater). The filling is not gooey nor is it fluffy, the consistency is more solid, more confection-ey (if that's a word). Have you ever had a real whoopie pie (being from Maine, I've had dozens but upon moving anywehre else in the United States, I find there's a vast shortage of real, homemade whoopie pies, otherwise known as moon pies...but if you call it a moon pie, you've probably never had a real whoopie pie)? Well the filling of the canoli is similiar to the homemade filling of the best whoopie pie you've ever had (in this case, Mrs. Unnold's famous homemade whoopie pies, which I have the recipe for if you're interested).

Alas the picture is not of the famous Rocco canoli but of another dessert there. I forget the name of it, but that's not important because this is just a filler picture until I get a picture of a canoli. Not to say the other desserts aren't tasty, they are very, but they don't have the same jaw-dropping quality of the canolis.


3 comments:

Kathleen Kitlas said...

Do you know if Rocco's is the restaurant of the chef Rocco Dispirito (sp?)? I saw him on Top Chef last season - he's hot.

Color Me Green said...

Kat, I doubt it. Rocco's is just a small Italian pastry shop. Right Jen? I'd never liked canoli's till Jen served me the chocolate cannoli from Rocco's for dessert one night. I was afraid it would be too creamy (I hate creamy-textured things) but the cream filling was cool, firm, and delicious!

Unknown said...

THE WHOOPIE PIE SHOUT-OUT...........love it.

ps this blog is very humorous

....please update more frequently and continue to use your famous "let me preface this" line....its part of what makes you, you.