Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Disney Marathon/Vacation (more pics to come)

I know this blog is supposed to be entirely dedicated to West Village restaurants but I just returned from running the Disney marathon in Orlando and I wanted to share some of my pleasureful meal experiences. Now let me just preface this by saying (sidenote: I never knew that I used the expression "let me just preface" but this blog has made me realize that I not only use it, I use it at a frightening frequency) I was never one for Disney World. I'd been once before when I was 8 years old on a family vacation, and, while I have one of the most awesome families to ever exist, I really don't remember having fun on this particular vacation. In fact, if I could post some photos from this dismal period you would see clearly the pain and despair on our faces as we, native mainers, not at all used to 100 degree heat, trudge aimlessly through throngs of people and the occassional disney character with a sad, sticky, melting ice cream cone in hand. That is all I remember from this vacation. Well, can you guess what I'm about to proclaim now?! I LOVE Disney World!! I am obsessed. I am already planning my next vacation with various people. It was potentially the most magical weekend of my life (don't tell this to my parents who have shelled out a pretty penny on much more sophisicated and cultural vacations to date). I am so very glad that I have seen the light and can now count myself among the Disney lovers of the world. OK I'm done with my rant...WAIT one more thing, I love the World Showcase LOVE IT. Done. And Space Mountain!! Oh and the Animal Kingdom and the Monorail...AND and and. OK really I'm done. But don't think I couldn't go on...because I COULD.

In this spirit of magical Disney creatures and child-like wonder and innocence, I'm going to "share" my gastronomic experiences with you all through pictures but I'm not going to offer a full critque because this blog is really primarily dedicated to critiquing restaurants in the West Village, not restaurants in Orlando. That being said, I did partake in some very fine dining and was surprised to find what I would consider top nyc restaurant quality food at a couple Disney Resort restaurants.

Blue Zoo at the Dolphin

Blue Zoo is located in Disney's Dolphin Resort, one half of Disney's Swan and Dolphin Resort. The Swan and Dolphin hotel emits granduer and cheesey oppulence from the gigantic swan and dolphin statues sitting atop the hotels to the amazingly ornate lobbies and interiors. If this resort was located anywhere else in the world, the word "gaudy" might come to mind, but being in Disney, gaudiness somehow becomes a cherished art form, and I giddily embraced everything about the Swan and Dolphin, right down to the seemingly out of place 50's diner serving hot fudge sundaes located directly across from the high-brow Blue Zoo restaurant. Take a look at our entrees and dessert!

Entrees: Lobster Fidelini and Chilean Sea Bass



Dessert: Chocolate Tort with Peanut Butter Ice Cream



Jica at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

Jica is located in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. While we missed out on actually touring Animal Kingdom itself (we didn't realize this park in particular closes at 5pm and arrived promptly at 5:30pm, patting ourselves on the back for tearing ourselves away from Tomorrow Land at the Magic Kingdom), we did get to experience the Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort set smack in the middle of the park. Disney's speciality seems to be either creating whimsical and/or thrilling fantasy worlds out of glimpses of dreams and imagination or extracting, and exagerating, only the best, magical parts of something based in reality (whether it be a french boulangerie or the wild west). The AKL encompases all of the excitment and exoticsm of being in the middle of an African safari, while staying at a safe and luxurious resort, complete with a gigantic swimming pool and giraffes lounging in an enclosed area about 50 feet away. Not a bad sight to wake up to.

Jica is one of the restaurants in the AKL and undoubtedly the nicest of the bunch.

Appetizer: Olive flatbread




Entrees: Slow-cooked lamb and Pork chops






The Grand Floridian Cafe

The Victorian themed Grand Floridian boasts a view of Cinderella's Castle and quick access to the Magic Kingdom via monorail that travels right through the resort - it is also known to be the most beautiful and most expensive Disney resort, with prices sometimes climbing into the 400's/night for a standard room during low season. Rather than break our wallets by staying at the Grand Floridian, we decided to visit one afternoon for lunch and soak in, temporarily, the beauty and luxury the Grand Floridian has to offer. I wasn't dissapointed - it is a gorgeous resort with sprawling grounds, a beach and even an idillyc wedding chapel, however for the price I could not justify actually staying there, sorry.

Lunch was hearty and refreshing - exactly what we needed after 13 miles of running in the Florida heat. And it was fun being served by waitstaff dressed in Victorian costumes.

Sandwhich consisting of lots of meat and cheese and Justin's cheeseburger:



And Justin with his special pinacolada:



Yum. So that was my weekend at Disney World. Sigh.

No comments: